Thursday 16 September 2010

Georgia

It is here that this moment of splendor fails us.
Give me your sight and come now, for we have
both lost. You make ready your shoes
and suitcase (it seems the parting was inevitable)
while I hide here amongst the curtains, clutching
your photography and praying guiltily.

Now sorry I, who failed you,
must watch from the window
as the old glass distorts this last image of you
so that I can’t remember how you really were

(a blemish, something minor, like
the sliding of my hand across your skin
or the dialogue swerving to somewhere
we’d never been)

New tulle of my skirt quivering as we danced
too lost in collected notes to worry. I scratched
your arm trying to stifle the shock that came from
an idyllic clarity disguised as sound

Who was playing that night? All I remember is
you liked my dress, fascinated by the fabric.
Your palm on my wicker-chair, silent.
Then you said you loved the evening
since it held no light, and forced people to
concentrate on the idea of a person, eliminating
physicality which only obstructs.

Wine and darkness you said,
are the two quickest ways to
really see a person for who they are

(you untying the ribbon around my throat,
laughing, then following the stepping stones
of my spine from my neck downwards)

and my hand, perfect
there upon your sleeve
is the clearest of any
regrets I’ve known since then.

No comments:

Post a Comment