Thursday 16 September 2010

Epyrus

hey boy, I watch
                 you take the skyway
while I remain here on the ground
knowing that one day you just won’t come back
so until then…
my mother in the next room
watches videos of the island she left
as a child 25 years earlier
to make her home
somewhere else

she tells me that a lone cypress
tree still stands in the same
place she remembers it being
                        as a little girl
and I’m not sure if it’s
                       a miracle I smell or
those lilies of the valley
imbedded deep into the soft folds
of the woolen jumpers she always wears.

Tess climbs up onto my desk
to watch me work
                        and he calls her
                        ‘the perfect killer’
because she is so small & beautiful
                      and deftly quick & silent
but that is simply
the nature
of felines.

No comments:

Post a Comment